and I knew
in the very core of my soul
and it spoke to me in gentle whispers
and I would silence it
because I loved him
overlooking his inability to see me
love me, meet me
disregarding his need to always joke when it was inappropriate
his need to always be right
to fight and fight before he could bring himself to apologize
only to appear vulnerable and strong just in the knick of time
right before I would lose all hope
right before I would walk away
right before I would have a chance to salvage a piece of my soul
he could only know love from the wound that had bound his heart
like a concrete wall with a tiny crack to let the light through
cold, with a mask of sparkly cheer
and a pretense of understanding and emotion
like a silent snake that strikes at the last second
and leaves you wounded and shocked
you don't see it coming because it's so close to the ground
and blends into the vibration
then there is one day,
when the pain of neglect is too much
and the soul is unrecognizable
from all the stolen pieces,
the veils are so layered
and the masks so deceptive
it demands a spark of courage
to hold it up to the contempt
that once resembled tenderness
and you can see through the veil
just enough for the flame of certainty
to thrust you into escape
and all at once the distinct need to run
as fast as you can
is unmistakable and firm,
clutching any remnants of yourself that remain.
and then the true examination begins
at first like a flower opening to the light
and then turning in
as the threads of connection slowly sever and fuse,
sever and fuse, sever and fuse...
whilst the sadness and grief and confusion rise up and recede
the pealing away of what was, of what was not and every tiny aspect in between
until there is more of a severing than a fusing
and the freedom to breathe and the freedom to truly see and the freedom to start to let go
seeing that he is like that
and you are like this
and the difference between the weak and the strong and the soulful and the soulless
are recognized for what they are -
and you are like this
and the difference between the weak and the strong and the soulful and the soulless
are recognized for what they are -
without anguish, without confusion, without emotion,
without eventually needing to understand more
without any more enquiry
without the storm in your mind taking over
without the churning in your gut blinding you
without the space in your heart held tight with sorrow
now and then he is put in my path to determine my progress
and the feeling in my heart is my gauge
and the anguish
and confusion has diminished
replaced by disdain and indifference.
progress perhaps
but to reside in this place
is not my desire.
compassion,
understanding
remain somewhat mysterious,
a foreign land I have yet to encounter fully,
a mountain I have only climbed half way
what remains
in this loneliness
this silence of myself
a void.
a void.
grasping for the nourishment I gave
grasping for a thread of gratitude for our journey
for the clearing out
for the emptying,
searching for the hand of comfort
of sustenance
replenishment
only when I recognize the reflection
and all the aspects of myself so buried within
then the bud of the new
and the breath of acceptance
and the surrender to the course
and the remembering of beauty
he was
I am
we were
and are
pieces of the whole.

No comments:
Post a Comment